Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tea Cup and (Sweet) Loanword in Japan♪

This post is from June 20, 2011; I forgot to paste this from home page, and this is the season of Hydrangea, so I post this today.

A couple of days ago, my next neighbor gave me hydrangeas from her garden. I happened to expect some guests on that day and had some sweets ready from my favorite cake shop. I took pictures of the sweet present with the sweets.

Loanwords in Japan related with sweets♪
cream puff‥‥‥ "chou a la cream" in French as you all may know. But in Japanese we pronounce it pretty close to "shoe cream" probably from the french pronunciation. Some decades ago, my foreign English teacher got confused with my mistake and asked me what shoe-cream had to do with sweets.  We laughed a lot realizing Japanese is the language of great variety.
Mont Blanc‥‥‥In this case, pronunciation is the same. But almost all the young studets of mine (who don't have knowledge about the mountain) think that "Mont Blanc" means "chestnut" in English.   Haha, you know why.
cake rolls‥‥‥ we call them roll-cake




cake roll. tiramisu. coffee jelly cake  (I hope I'm calling them collectedly)

2 comments:

Ann said...

beautiful flowers ...
the tea cup is so delicate looking..love the pattern of flowers!!
the food looks delicious!!
xo

ruma said...

Hello, orchid.

  It is my joy to share your wonderful work.
  And sweet message charms my heart.

  I pray for your happiness and world peace.

Have a good weekend. From Japan, ruma ❃